Sunday 27 September 2009

Wilderness - 13/08/09

My cousin is relatively new to fishing so after agreeing to take him and his friend fishing for the afternoon we decided Wilderness was our best bet because of it being a relatively easy water. The forecast was a scorcher with temperatures in excess of 70 and not a cloud in the sky. After a quick license quick from the bailiff we made our way to the main lake and decided to fish the bay because there was ample room for all three of us.

I started the day fishing sweetcorn on the float and on the first cast was rewarded with a small Rudd, it may of only weighed 4 ounces but what it lacked in size it more than made up for with it's beautiful golden colour and bright crimson fins.

It wasn't long before the Carp moved into my swim and within 20 minutes of the first cast I landed my first of the day, a small Common of about 2lbs. At that point I decided to go all in and put out several handfuls of halibut pellets and left over method mix from my previous trip to Readers to see if I could get a feeding frenzy going. Sure enough the Carp responded and at one point I could see at least twenty Carp tails in the shallow water as they got their heads down to munch on all the feed I had put in.

After my fifth Carp and a sun induced migraine rapidly developing I decided to reel in my rod and concentrate on helping my cousin and his friend by showing them how to tie different rigs and letting them fish my swim that I had been feeding heavily throughout the afternoon.

We fished on until 18:00 with both of them managing to land several more Carp as the day went on, I finished the day with five small Carp up to 2.5lbs, a solitary Rudd and an absolutely shocking headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment