Thursday 26 November 2009

Readers Lake 09/10/09

After my recent red letter day at Readers I was itching to get back there and with the mild weather forecast I decided a midweek session was in order. The plan was to be at the lake by 07:30 and fish peg 13 just as I had done previously so it was a little disappointing to see the only other angler on the lake was already fishing that swim when I arrived.

I decided to fish the same island but on the north side which I've recently nicknamed the north pole because it's usually much colder due to the surrounding trees blocking out most the sunshine. I setup exactly as I had done on my previous trip and dropped my treble corn hook bait next to a set of lilly pads by the island.

In light of my recent trip you could forgive me for thinking sport would be relentless but in typical Readers fashion the lake was predictably unpredictable and I had to wait over an hour for my first bite which resulted in a small Carp of approximately 4 lbs ending up in the net.

As the morning progressed and the temperature increased the fish got their heads down and started gorging themselves on all the bait I had been putting in with my feeder, hooking fish wasn't a problem but the pads made landing them hard work and I lost two fish to hook pulls and one that managed to straighten the hook!

I decided to call it a day shortly after lunch as the chill in the air was starting to get to me, I had only managed one fish but I suppose I should just be grateful that I haven't blanked since way back in May, there can't be too many anglers than can boast that.

As I trudged back to the car I caught sight of a Kingfisher as well as a Grass Snake that was meandering slowly across the surface of the lake, a bit late in the year to be seeing Snakes I thought to myself (global warming?).

No comments:

Post a Comment