Thursday 26 November 2009

Roosthole Pond - 14/11/09

Roosthole has definitely become one of my favourite waters this season so I didn't need to be asked twice when my friend invited me to fish there on the 14th of November.

I woke up Saturday morning to find the South East being battered by 50 mph winds and torrential rain as the first storm of the year hit the UK. After a quick glance outside and a text from my mate we decided to chance it, it should be good for a laugh even if we didn't catch.

No sooner had we arrived at the lake we were hit with a hail storm as well as thunder and lightening, it was hardly surprising to see no one else at the lake (only lunatics would fish in this weather!) but at least we would get our favourite swims.

I went with a standard bolt rig but as the weather was cooling down I decided to get away from the fishmeal boilie/halibut pellet combo and instead opted for a 15mm Mainline Cell on one rod and a 15mm Dynamite tiger nut boilie on the other, both rods had small PVA bags of chili hemp attached for each cast.

By now the wind was really starting to get up, thankfully for us we were quite sheltered but that didn't stop a huge gust causing my friends brolly to turn inside out and take off like something out of Mary Poppins. It was only when we looked at the trees higher up in the distance could we see how windy it really was as they were almost doubled over! I had to spend a lot of my time holding the sides of my brolly just to stop it collapsing and the torrential rain made it impossible to use PVA as a whole tube of mine turned to mush whilst trying to make up bags. The wind had also caused branches to fall from the trees and these were drifting around the lake and all over my lines giving me indications on my bite alarms and hampering rig presentation, if I could catch in these conditions I could catch in anything!

I filmed this clip on my phone just to show how wet and windy it was:



Over the course of the day I had six runs (all on the tiger nut boilies) and I ended up landing three Carp, two were around the 7 lb mark and the biggest just over 13 lb. For some reason I always get plagued by hook pulls at this water and today was no different, I suspect today it was due to me bullying the fish just so I could back under my brolly and out the rain!


My friend managed two Carp which meant another point to me in our match series but I sensed a severe lack of enthusiasm and competitiveness from him today, obviously it was completely down to the weather and nothing to do with the fact that the score now stood at a 8-3 and he was getting beaten like a drum.

No comments:

Post a Comment